Skip to main content

Day 15

There have been some first signs of movement. Perhaps not entirely as desired, but all part of the process I assume.

What seems to be happening, which isn't the easiest to gauge (check out the pictures here if you're really interested, it actually seems like more of an exercise in proper lighting) - is that (I'm getting there) my bottom front teeth are moving forward and my top front teeth are moving to the side.

I actually thought I'd see more movement from my snaggletooth, as it has room to move back into naturally, but it hasn't budged at all.

Likewise I thought my bottom two front teeth would line up first, but the most movement has come from the tooth behind them which has meant the front two have maintained the status quo in terms of formation.

I was never actually that fussed about how my bottom teeth looked, they're the same as Will Ferrell's and he seems to be doing alright. So unconcerned in fact that unlike my upper teeth, I realise I've never even bothered to imagine what they'd look like straight.

Now that I can see and feel them moving forward, it's not hard to imagine them being straight at all and with, dare I say, "less to do" than the top teeth, they might actually get there first.

Maybe I should be running an office raffle on which row will win?

Certainly everyone in the office has their opinions about braces and I've heard so many tales now of how harrowing they were for everyone when they were teenagers. Believe me grown ups, it was better to have them then.

Though I remain awfully grateful I haven't had to have any kind of surgery, some real horrors have been described to me. It really makes me wonder what humanity would actually look like if braces were not a thing. I might have been considered to have quite a good smile if no-one had had 'corrective' treatment.

As for the movement of my top teeth, the big mover is my other canine which took the brunt of the hit which rearranged my teeth in the first place. It appears to be pushing outwards and taking the inner incisor with it. This is great news as this incisor has been pushed back behind my front teeth over the last 20 years and would surely have continued on that journey without braces.

The only down side is that it isn't exactly moving laterally and that means it's also pushing my front tooth on that side, forward. Not a great look for the time being, but one I assume will be reversed when the space returns for it to move back into.

As well as forward, everything on the top seems to be pulling to the left while those two teeth sort themselves out, which leads me to deduce this is why my snaggletooth on the right hasn't moved, it's in a tug of war.

It seems to be just a jump to the left.. and then a step to the right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 24

The last week has seen a return to pain, primarily in my bottom front teeth as they move forward. However things seem to now be slowing as my incisors struggle to get past my bottom canines, which like my top canines, ever so slightly face forward on an angle. I suspect this is because when they came in during puberty I was well and truly a midget, there was no room for them and they did what they could to reach towards the light. Now I believe there is room, they're just on the wrong angle. However I imagine this will be one of the tougher hurdles to overcome and expect to have rubber bands strapped on the next time I see the dentist. Then again, if the incisor on the right hand side of my face and wriggle past its pesky canine companion, there may not be a need for that. It's certainly the tooth I'm keeping the closest eye on at the moment and arguably the tooth that's so far moved the furthest. As for my top teeth, the resulting movement of my two front te

Day 9

And the stabbing begins! I'm actually quite surprised by how much I don't know about the braces process given I have them in my mouth. What seems so obvious now, is that as your teeth move, the wire connecting your braces moves too. This means there is additional wire that begins to protrude at the back of your mouth. For one thing, this is great news, it means your braces are working and your teeth are moving, but it also means being repeatedly stabbed by the sharp wire now poking at your cheeks and gums. Honestly, if no-one had told me about orthodontic wax I would be in such a state right now. That stuff is an absolute godsend. Thank you little bees for making it for me. Another thing I'm having to adjust to is cotton mouth. I can't recall the last time my mouth was so consistently dry. I've gone to speak and split or cut my lip a few times already, unpleasant. I am a veritable desert when I wake up in the morning, I may as well be sucking a cactus.

Day 1

So here I am on a bus in London, packing myself to the dentist. Arguably to have work that needs doing, but feeling ashamed of my own vanity and a traitor to my own punk rock ethos. I mean what does a punk rocker do when a tooth is giving them trouble? They pull it out. I guess my fear was that once you start pulling teeth, you never stop and the thought of being a gummy, toothless, hobo looking punker was less appealing than having a face full of metal and judged for being a priss. Braces aren't very punk rock, but in my experience, girls like teeth, whether they're pointing the right way or not, they just like them to be there. So I've made my bed and I will lie in it. Hopefully with them, but probably not for the next year. You don't exactly hear women clambering for the 38 year old men with braces. You don't stand at the bus stop and hear "Oh he's fit.. if only he had braces." So, I have emotionally prepared to put my love life to one si