Skip to main content

Day 16

Brushing my teeth is a challenge. Probably a side effect of this dry mouth nonsense, but my teeth rarely feel properly clean.

I'm on to my third kind of toothbrush as I look to reach in and around the new framework and actually get the teeth clean.

You don't really realise how just eating normally and chewing your food actually removes any build up on your teeth throughout the day. Now that I'm on an all-mush diet and chewing is out of the question, I notice it completely.

I have always been a fastidious teeth cleaner and I brush pretty hard with a medium strength brush.

Now I'm pretty concerned about doing damage to my braces and am having to reign in my usual gusto while still attempting to clean teeth that feel dirtier than ever. The result? Long periods spent brushing my teeth and some old techniques from childhood which have returned now that I can no longer just scrub thoroughly.

A certain level of precision and finesse has returned to the way I brush my teeth and I feel more like an artist when I get to work rather than an industrial machine.

All the same, the braces can be a treasure trove of items you didn't know were there which directly correlate to feelings of overwhelming embarrassment and disbelief. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 24

The last week has seen a return to pain, primarily in my bottom front teeth as they move forward. However things seem to now be slowing as my incisors struggle to get past my bottom canines, which like my top canines, ever so slightly face forward on an angle. I suspect this is because when they came in during puberty I was well and truly a midget, there was no room for them and they did what they could to reach towards the light. Now I believe there is room, they're just on the wrong angle. However I imagine this will be one of the tougher hurdles to overcome and expect to have rubber bands strapped on the next time I see the dentist. Then again, if the incisor on the right hand side of my face and wriggle past its pesky canine companion, there may not be a need for that. It's certainly the tooth I'm keeping the closest eye on at the moment and arguably the tooth that's so far moved the furthest. As for my top teeth, the resulting movement of my two front te

Day 9

And the stabbing begins! I'm actually quite surprised by how much I don't know about the braces process given I have them in my mouth. What seems so obvious now, is that as your teeth move, the wire connecting your braces moves too. This means there is additional wire that begins to protrude at the back of your mouth. For one thing, this is great news, it means your braces are working and your teeth are moving, but it also means being repeatedly stabbed by the sharp wire now poking at your cheeks and gums. Honestly, if no-one had told me about orthodontic wax I would be in such a state right now. That stuff is an absolute godsend. Thank you little bees for making it for me. Another thing I'm having to adjust to is cotton mouth. I can't recall the last time my mouth was so consistently dry. I've gone to speak and split or cut my lip a few times already, unpleasant. I am a veritable desert when I wake up in the morning, I may as well be sucking a cactus.

Day 1

So here I am on a bus in London, packing myself to the dentist. Arguably to have work that needs doing, but feeling ashamed of my own vanity and a traitor to my own punk rock ethos. I mean what does a punk rocker do when a tooth is giving them trouble? They pull it out. I guess my fear was that once you start pulling teeth, you never stop and the thought of being a gummy, toothless, hobo looking punker was less appealing than having a face full of metal and judged for being a priss. Braces aren't very punk rock, but in my experience, girls like teeth, whether they're pointing the right way or not, they just like them to be there. So I've made my bed and I will lie in it. Hopefully with them, but probably not for the next year. You don't exactly hear women clambering for the 38 year old men with braces. You don't stand at the bus stop and hear "Oh he's fit.. if only he had braces." So, I have emotionally prepared to put my love life to one si